[TriLUG] Rock Ridge Extensions

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Apr 7 09:01:51 EDT 2005

Hi Y'all,
   I'm using the -J mkisofs option to put Joliet extensions in my ISOs,
so that I get better long filename/path support.  However, when I do
that, mkisofs spits out a warning that I am omitting Rock Ridge
Extensions, and that it is "highly recommended" that I add them.

I've never had any problems reading CDs burned from ISOs where this
warning was given.  But I also don't like warnings, if I can avoid them.

Only problem is, I can't figure out how to add Rock Ridge.  RR seems to
be the default if -J *isn't* specified, but also appears to be turned
off if -J *is* specified.  I tried --force-rr, but that didn't work (and
more careful reading of the manpage sort of explained why)..  But even a
pattern search through the manpage for "rock ridge" doesn't seem to tell
me how to add Rock Ridge to a Joliet ISO.

So.  How do you do it?  (-:

Thanks!
~Brian