[TriLUG] Rock Ridge Extensions

Ed Hill ed at eh3.com
Thu Apr 7 09:34:44 EDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-04-07 at 09:26 -0400, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
> Take a look at the man page.  There are two options.  You can either
> do -r and it will do RockRidge with the specified user/group/permissions
> from the files themselves, or you can do -R and it will convert them
> to anonymous so that they can be read by anyone who mounts the CD.
>
> -R -J works very well together.

Hi folks,

Occasionally, Rock Ridge extensions will work when Joliet won't.  It has
nothing to do with interactions between the two -- it occurs when you
have a very large number of long file names that are similar.  For
whatever reason, Joliet will barf on such inputs and Rock Ridge is OK
with them.  I have been able to routinely trigger this failure by making
ISO images of my large-ish collection of emails stored by Evolution.

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
             Cambridge, MA 02139-4307