[TriLUG] Scheduling file transfers

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Thu Apr 7 09:57:00 EDT 2005

I can imagine a few possibilities here.  Most depend on ssh access.  Are
you planning on deleting them as soon as you download them?  If so, I
think you should first check the modified times and only download files
that haven't been modified in the past several minutes.  If it has, it's
potentially in the middle of a download.  If you have ssh access, you
can run a find with -mmin +n  where n is the number of minutes you want
it to have been stable.

The other option that comes to mind is to use rsync if you can.  If the
file isn't complete, next time it runs, it will get the rest of it.  You
could combine this with a cron job using find again to delete ones that
are old.  As long as you don't use rsync with --delete it won't delete
your local copy if a file is missing on the server.

If you don't have rsync, then ncftpget, as John Turner mentioned, is
probably a good option.

Joel