[TriLUG] OT: maps.google.com satellite maps

Dan Monjar dan at daijin.dissimulo.com
Thu Apr 7 11:21:30 EDT 2005

Brian Henning wrote:
> Yeah, I picked up on that on some road construction along Guess Rd in
> northern Durham.  It's long since finished, compared to the state it's
> in in the satellite imagery.  So the presence of the carnival is
> probably just an incredible coincidence (or, potentially, that
> particular area *was* photographed recently).
>
> Still, pretty cool that it's a lot more recent than the 1986 imagery
> that was on TerraServer when I last looked at it (which was in 1998).

I know it is not Linux but you guys ought to look at www.keyhole.com,
this is the company that Google bought to bring you these images.  I
spent the $29.95 for a year to run Keyhole on the family's machine.
Their program combined with their images is amazing.  The highest-res
place is in downtown San Diego.  Raleigh-Durham has a 2 foot resolution,
  downtown SD is 3 inches... it is amazing.

They also have a forum board where keyhole geeks get together to trade
locations coordinates.  There's images in the database that shown planes
in flight and such... or so I've heard.

Wow, off-topic and mentioning the evil empire, am I a rebel or what? ;-)
--
Dan Monjar