[TriLUG] interesting server stats

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Thu Apr 7 11:22:00 EDT 2005

Sun, Red Hat Go Head-To-Head

link:  http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,1774971,00.asp

I don't really understand why HP/Compaq is still in business, as they
have absolutely NO VISION.  But Sun and McNeely will fight til the last
dying breath.  Solaris 9 made significant improvements, such as finally
including a version of ssh and augmenting their native patch &
management tools.  Solaris 10 is supposed to be building on these
efforts.  It is hard to beat the stability of Solaris on Sparc.  Linux
on x86 ain't far behind, tho.

Linux /should/ have 50% of the server market by the end of the year.
(That's not a prediction, it's a suggestion).

dave m.

On Apr 7, 2005, at 10:41 AM, Marc M wrote:

> THere is a good writeup on both solaris and redhat in the latest eweek
> magazine (I believe). I don't have it with me, but if I am remembering
> the
> right article it is saying something about solaris being a lot more
> mature
> than linux, and solaris 10 is regaining some ground. Interesting
> though that
> sun is shipping a lot of linux boxes according to my OP. I thought
> they got
> out of the Linux business entirely a while back.
>
> Marc
>

> On Apr 7, 2005 9:56 AM, Greg Brown <gregbrown at mindspring.com> wrote:
>>
>> I wonder what kind of impact Solaris 10 is going to have on the
>> market.
>> Every enterprise data center I've worked in over the past two years
>> still has plenty of UNIX in the forms of AIX and Solaris. I see more
>> Linux when I get to medium businesses (still mostly M$) then I see
>> plenty of Linux on the small business side.
>>
>> Greg
>>
>> On Apr 7, 2005, at 9:03 AM, Marc M wrote:
>>
>>> I understand that Linux is suppossed to be at about 30% of the
>>> overall
>>> server market within the next few years (correct me if I'm wrong on
>>> this).
>>> Looks like HP still has quite a stronghold for organizations that
>>> really
>>> just want to spend a lot of cash. On the other hand it looks like
>>> Linux is
>>> crushing Solaris in the x86 space.
>>> http://h10038.www1.hp.com/content_detail.asp?
>>> contentid=362&agencyid=1&jumpid=ex_R33_go/thinkagain_LOB|FED