[TriLUG] interesting server stats

Marc M linuxr at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 11:34:18 EDT 2005

Well I think that last remark is a great suggestion. I just don't understand
why so many organizations still want to spend 150K on a RISC box for
example, running HPUX, when for a considerably smaller % of that they could
throw in a Linux box(es). I think a lot of companies have the mentality that
'we can't trust OSS because we need a major-name vendor to blame if things
go awry' -- a really gutless, wimpy management mentality. I am just glad
some orgs such as Red Hat are giving them a run for their money.

Maybe HP will *get* some vision. HP-UX is good but it ain't Linux and as far
as I am concerned it is therefore legacy. Maybe with the removal of Carly
Fiorina they will beef up their Linux and OSS support. [At least she
personally lived up to her statement about the outsourcing in which she
warmly reached out to the community stating 'Americans are no longer
guaranteed a job'. LOL] Let's hope the new CEO/team understands better where
the industry is going than where it has been.

Marc