[TriLUG] interesting server stats

Matt Frye mattfrye at gmail.com
Thu Apr 7 13:42:39 EDT 2005

On Apr 7, 2005 11:34 AM, Marc M <linuxr at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think a lot of companies have the mentality that
> 'we can't trust OSS because we need a major-name vendor to blame if things
> go awry' -- a really gutless, wimpy management mentality.

It's really not that simple.  I work everyday to get Linux into the
data center, but I can tell you first hand that much of the "problem"
is lack of vendor support for Linux.  Applications that are certified
for Solaris, HP-UX, and AIX are not always available for Linux.  Not
even close.  Other reasons include regulatory requirements, and yes,
manager stodginess, but it's often out of their control.

> Maybe HP will *get* some vision...

HP and HP-UX is not a good example.  The real problem with HP is that
they wrote off their own processor architecture years ago.  HP should
be keeping HP-UX around for chip development purposes so that PA-RISC
can improve.  That way they can move changes into their architecture
that they have tested, but that may not have been accepted by the OSS
community.  Incidentally, this is the reason why AIX will never really
go away.

Fiorina couldn't drive the business they needed, but that's a separate
issue.  That was a function of melding two different companies'
cultures together, one of which still had the later-years-of-DEC
albatross hanging around its neck, and then trying not to cheapen one
brand while merging production lines.

> Let's hope the new CEO/team understands better where
> the industry is going than where it has been.

Here's to hoping brother.

Matt Frye