[TriLUG] OT: maps.google.com satellite maps

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Thu Apr 7 23:52:20 EDT 2005

Matt Frye wrote:

>>I know it is not Linux but you guys ought to look at www.keyhole.com,
>>this is the company that Google bought to bring you these images.
>>

>There was once a time when I couldn't say the word "keyhole" out loud.
> It's cool to see those pictures available outside of a special
>building.
>
>MPF

Just to chime in with an interesting link, check out the intersection of
Groomtown and I-85 in Greensboro.  For those familiar with this area,
it's changed dramatically in the last 6 to 18 months, as they cut
through the new section of I-85 that bypasses Greensboro.
Consequentially, I'd say that picture had to be taken with in the last 6
months or so.  There are cars on the new stretch of highway, which was
opened some time in the last year for sure, possibly the last 6 months,
I can't pin it in my mind exactly.  As a bonus, there's neat wispy
clouds in that area as well that cast interesting shadows.  :)

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=groomtown+and+i-85,greensboro,+nc&ll=35.997101,-79.862237&spn=0.022337,0.028195&t=k&hl=en

Aaron S. Joyner