[TriLUG] OT: maps.google.com satellite maps

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Fri Apr 8 10:23:05 EDT 2005

On Apr 8, 2005 10:09 AM, Warren Myers <volcimaster at gmail.com> wrote:
> How do you 'turn off' the falls? It's a Great Lake emptying itself 24
> hrs a day!!

There are control gates upstream of the falls which allow the water to
be diverted to feed the hydro-electric plants, the Sir Adam Beck plant
on the Canadian  side, and the Robert Moses plant on the American side
are the biggest ones.
http://www.infoniagara.com/attractions/hydro.html

The amount of water diverted from te falls is controllable IIRC, they
do indeed divert more at night when there are less tourists.   I also
beleive that they have pretty much cut the falls off pretty much
completely at least once when they did some work to stem erosion of
the falls themselves.

There's probably some linux connection, but I don't know what it is,
well I'm sure that linux is being used to serve up some web pages
about all this.