[TriLUG] GLX extensions?

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri Apr 8 13:44:35 EDT 2005

> I am having trouble getting glx to work.  I have the line in the
> "Module" section of my xorg.conf file that says 'Load "glx"'.  But some
> of the glx enabled screen savers still don't work, so I'm wondering what
> I might be missing.  Any help would be appreciated!

Some of the open source X11/video drivers do not support graphics
acceleration on newer cards.

For instance, I have a laptop with an ATI9600.  The open source
"radeon" driver works great for non-GLX use, and it even handles
dual-head operation.  But when starting X, it leaves a message in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log saying something like "GLX not supported on
9000 and above".

I installed ATI's proprietary "fglrx" driver and now GLX works great.

I have seen similar problems with nvidia cards and the open source
"nv" driver (which does not support dual-head).  Install nvidia's
proprietary "nvidia" driver and you get your graphix accleration
and dual-head support.

Alan