[TriLUG] Scheduling file transfers

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Fri Apr 8 13:46:15 EDT 2005

This is the classic asynchronous data transfer problem.  I boy, have I
done a lot of these over the years.

The old-fashioned (meaning old 1980's UNIX way) of doing this is to
transfer the data file.  Then when complete, transfer a zero-byte
flag file of the same name with a *.flag extension.  On the receiving
end have a watchdog process wake up every now and then (or run from
cron; an inittab/restart process with a sleep loop works best), and
look for any flag files; if it finds one, process the associated data
file.

More recently (mid-1990's) I worked on a project the was truly
asynchronous in nature.  When the data-source would finish transferring
a data file to the target machine, it would then run a remote command
to process that file, giving the filename as the argument (using rsh or
ssh).  The target machine responsible for displaying the data had no
cron-job or watchdog at all, just an executable (usually a script)
called by the source machine(s) to process data files.

The advantage to the latter is it is more responsive -- processing of
the data file takes place as soon as transferred, and there is the
possibility of processing more than one file at a time, possibly from
multiple sources.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA