[TriLUG] Multi Domain IMAP Servers

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Sat Apr 9 00:56:34 EDT 2005

Howdy!

I made the jump to Linode UML hosting, and am rolling Debian/MySQL
4.1/Apache2/PHP 5 out on the box. That end of things is all set up. The
server supports about 10 domains, each with separate Apache Virtual
Hosts, MySQL databases, shell accounts, etc. Pretty much standard stuff.

I'm quite knowledgeable in the area of MySQL/Apache/PHP server stuff,
and general admin stuff, but what I haven't had much experience with is
email systems, since I've never had a real fat pipe to the house, and
always had great shared web hosting, I just used my hosted email on my
virtual servers.

So what to install on my new UML server? I don't really know where to
start, but here are the things I need:

- IMAP, POP3 optional (would be best if it's an IMAP server that
supports a "virtual" POP3 layer)
- Multiple Domain support (aaron at domain1.com and aaron at domain2.com need
to be SEPARATE accounts)
- Further Multiple Domain support, this one is optional, but desired:
aaron at domain1 and aaron at domain2 are the SAME account, but aaron at domain3
is DIFFERENT than the other two...
- Spam Assassin is a must - I'm currently using it on my shared hosting,
and it captures about 95% of my spam. Not sure how this gets configured,
but I'm guessing it comes into play regardless of mail system? Eigh?

I also need an SMTP server. Should I just use sendmail, or go to
Postfix? Any good recommended reads for either?

I have been running Hula on my home server for a few weeks, trying it
while pondering the move to UML. Conceptually, I like it, and I'd
probably use it, but it doesn't support multiple domains like I need.
Unless I'm missing something?

Some guided advice would be splendid!

Thanks!
-Aaron