[TriLUG] thunderbird

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Sat Apr 9 15:09:43 EDT 2005

On Apr 9, 2005 2:28 PM, jbrigman at nc.rr.com <jbrigman at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> What the HECK is WRONG with Evolution? It's tantalizing in it's capabilties, but I found a number of serious problems:
>
> - It is bad slow, whether blacklist spamblock is enabled or not

Yes, this is prbably the main reason I gave up after struggling with
it for a year or so.

> - Can't use the "send as new message" function to re-send an email you've just received,

Probably due to some philosophical constraint from powers that be
among the developers.  They probably feel that this would allow users
to "plagiarize" incoming e-mail, too easily, and that they should use
forward instead so that there would be an audit trail.

> - Can't select/cut/paste from a received email into a new composing email,
> - When you do cut/paste something, you've got to do it slowly and not switch the windows too fast, or the paste buffer will just belch everything out and have nothing in it.

Never tried it, but maybe related to the previous point.

> I don't get it: Evolution's been around much longer than Thunderbird - I would've thought it would be rock solid by now. I'm running, not walking, back to Thunderbird.

As I said, the developers of Evolution seem to have a strong attitude.
The strongly believe in cleaving to their interpretation of RFCs which
is for the most part a good thing, although they sometimes miss on the
be strict in what you produce and lax in what you accept which is
often needed to make a program a pleasure to use or even usable at
all. While I was an evo user I followed the mailing list and got a
strong impression of the key developers. While I understand and
symphathize with the idea that if you don't like it, here's the source
code go fix it, I got the feeling that the evo team really didn't care
very much about input from users as opposed to other developers and
rfc lawyers.

So now tbird is my choice for non-Gmail mail.