[TriLUG] Looking for best deal on domain name server plus dynamic dns

Rick DeNatale rick.denatale at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:33:09 EDT 2005

For some time, I've been using a free sub-domain from dyndns.org.  I'm
now thinking about registering one or more of my own domains, and I'm
wondering what the best deal is for doing this.

I think that the best pricing on domain registration are with godaddy,
but then I need to get a custom dns from dyndns or one of it's
competitors. The two I've found so far are dyndns.org and no-ip.com
whose going price seems to be $25/year/domain. They also both charge
$30/year/domain for a backup mx service which would be nice, but not
essential.

Are there any other alternatives, possibly package offerings for a
combination of some subset of domain registration, dynamic dns, and
possibly mx backup which might be cheaper than a combination of
go-daddy for registration and either dnydns.org or no-ip.com for the
dnx/mx support?