[TriLUG] Looking for best deal on domain name server plus dynamic dns

Joseph Tate dragonstrider at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 09:45:39 EDT 2005

I'd recommend zoneedit.com for DNS.  Free for the first 5 domains.
Works well with the ddclient package for doing dyndns updates.

I am thinking of moving my domain away from GoDaddy.com.  The price
difference isn't necessarily worth the political dribble that I get
occasionally from the CEO, or the mindless and gimmicky advertising.
123cheapdomains.com on the other hand has been very professional, and
has instantly resolved any issues that I have had.  And it only costs
a few extra dollars a year.

On Apr 12, 2005 9:33 AM, Rick DeNatale <rick.denatale at gmail.com> wrote:
> For some time, I've been using a free sub-domain from dyndns.org.  I'm
> now thinking about registering one or more of my own domains, and I'm
> wondering what the best deal is for doing this.
>
> I think that the best pricing on domain registration are with godaddy,
> but then I need to get a custom dns from dyndns or one of it's
> competitors. The two I've found so far are dyndns.org and no-ip.com
> whose going price seems to be $25/year/domain. They also both charge
> $30/year/domain for a backup mx service which would be nice, but not
> essential.
>
> Are there any other alternatives, possibly package offerings for a
> combination of some subset of domain registration, dynamic dns, and
> possibly mx backup which might be cheaper than a combination of
> go-daddy for registration and either dnydns.org or no-ip.com for the
> dnx/mx support?

Joseph Tate
Personal e-mail: jtate AT dragonstrider DOT com
Web: http://www.dragonstrider.com