[TriLUG] Multimedia stuff I'd like to do

Andrew Perrin clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu
Tue Apr 12 21:05:18 EDT 2005

I've been experimenting with some of this stuff, but I'm by no means an
expert. I have two TV-in cards in my machine: a Pinnacle Rave PCTV and a
Hauppauge WinPVR-150 low-rise.  The Pinnacle works great, but I haven't
(yet) got the Hauppauge working.

Using the Pinnacle, I can use the bttv drivers for linux to watch and
record video/audio to a variety of formats, and I can use transcode,
dvdauthor, etc., to take that input and write it to DVD. Problem is, it
only then plays on one of my DVD players - the other says the disks are
unplayable. I haven't played with it enough to figure out why. But the
various scripts and notes I've used are pasted at the bottom of this
message FYI. This setup should handle tasks 1 and 4. I don't know anything
about 2.

As for 3: I haven't tried itunes etc., but once you've got the MP3 files,
you can either just save them to a CD, which will work in some newer CD
players, or you can use cdrdao to create an audio CD. I have no experience
with the latter, I'm afraid.

Hoep this helps a little bit-
Andy

Following are the scripts etc.:
---streamer-notes
Steps include:
- Set capture source to 3 (aux) using amixer
- Set capture volume somewhere reasonable, say 9, using amixer
- Set aux volume to 0 (or mute) unless you want to hear it at the same
time
	aperrin at joehill:~$ amixer cset numid=24 off
	numid=24,iface=MIXER,name='Aux Playback Switch'
	  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
	  : values=off
- v4lctl -c /dev/video0 setstation nbc17
 	(where nbc17 is replaced w/ channel to record)
-  streamer -t 00:00:10 -r 24 -o movie.avi -f mjpeg -F stereo

NOTE: the -r value is frames per second; fewer makes a smaller, worse
video file. the -t value is how long to record.  -F should probably be
mono since I don't think the tv card gets stereo anyway.

aperrin at joehill:~$ amixer cget numid=28,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
numid=28,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Source'
  ; type=ENUMERATED,access=rw---,values=2,items=8
  ; Item #0 'Mic'
  ; Item #1 'CD'
  ; Item #2 'Video'
  ; Item #3 'Aux'
  ; Item #4 'Line'
  ; Item #5 'Mix'
  ; Item #6 'Mix Mono'
  ; Item #7 'Phone'
  : values=3,3
aperrin at joehill:~$ amixer cget numid=29
numid=29,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Switch'
  ; type=BOOLEAN,access=rw---,values=1
  : values=on
aperrin at joehill:~$ amixer cget numid=30
numid=30,iface=MIXER,name='Capture Volume'
  ; type=INTEGER,access=rw---,values=2,min=0,max=15,step=0
  : values=9,9

amixer -q set Aux on
amixer -q set Aux 75%
amixer -q set Aux cap
amixer -q set Master on
amixer -q set Master 75%
amixer cset numid=24 off
v4lctl -c /dev/video0 setstation wral(cbs)
streamer -o wral.avi -f mjpeg -r 29.97 -s 352x240 -t 00:5:00 -j 75 -n ntsc
-F stereo -R 48000

*** For dvd:
mplayer -ao pcm          -vo null          -vc dummy ww-lo-mar-30.avi
toolame -p 2 -b 384 output.wav output.mp2
transcode --print_status 500 -x ffmpeg -y ffmpeg -F mpeg2video -e
48000,16,2 --export_asr 2 --export_fps 29.970 --export_prof dvd-ntsc -Z
720x480,fast -j -16,-32,-16,-32 -o output -i ww-lo-mar-30.avi
mplex -f 8 -o ww-lo-mar-30.mpg output.m2v output.mp2
rm -f output.*
dvdauthor -t -o ww-lo-mar-30 ww-lo-mar-30.mpg
dvdauthor -T -o ww-lo-mar-30
growisofs -Z /dev/dvd=/dev/zero
growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd -R -J ww-lo-mar-30

*** For vcd:

ffmpeg -f avi -vcodec mjpeg -i wral.avi -me full -b 1150 -ab 224 -f vcd
-vcodec mpeg1video -acodec mp2 wral.mpg

vcdimager -t vcd2 -c wral.cue -b wral.bin -l wral wral.mpg

cdrecord dev=0,5,0 blank=fast gracetime=2

cdrdao write -n --device 0,5,0 wral.cue

---# This worked:
#sh ~/avi2dvd.sh er-mar31.avi
#dvdauthor -t -o er-mar31 er-mar31.mpg
#dvdauthor -T -o er-mar31
#mkisofs -dvd-video -o er-mar31.iso er-mar31
#growisofs -dvd-compat -Z /dev/dvd=er-mar31.iso

# I assume the last two can be combined. also this script can be
shortened.

clists at perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu