[TriLUG] Postfix Woes

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Wed Apr 13 01:27:10 EDT 2005

Okay, having never worked with Postfix or any email system before, other
than web-based user administration on my shared hosting systems, diving
head first into the world of email systems is slightly overwhelming,
considering the time restrictions I am under.

I am right now just working with Postfix. I have the server set up, and
it is delivering mail into user Maildirs (/home/user/Maildir). I can
connect to the SMTP server from localhost and send a message without a
problem. I can connect via telnet from my desktop (which is on a
completely separate network), actually through port 26 (set up a
iptables rule on the server to forward 26->25, thanks Earthlink!) and
send a message.

The problem is sending a message through Earthlink's SMTP server, as set
up in Evolution. My Postfix server is denying the message relayed from
the Earthlink SMTP server.

I was thinking that the "mynetworks" and "mynetworks_style" settings in
main.cf have something to do with this?

Does anyone have a config that I can work with that handles the
following goals:

1. Accept incoming SMTP connections from anywhere and messages bound for
the local server
2. Do not relay messages from any other host except the local server
(and other hosts manually specified) to remote SMTP servers

If I can get mail delivered from any SMTP server to mine, then I think I
can really get going with Postfix, and move on to virtual domains and
users, and then getting Courier-IMAP set up to read the Maildirs.

I'd also appreciate any other Postfix/Courier-IMAP related
tips/tricks/articles that anyone may have to share! Email is the only
system I'm not too familiar with! It'd be more fun if I had more
time :-/

Thanks!

Aaron Bockover