[TriLUG] Postfix Woes

Aaron Bockover abockover.trilug at aaronbock.net
Wed Apr 13 09:36:50 EDT 2005

Oooh! This may not be a total Postfix issue after all. The name servers
for my domain (rmmp.org) are at ZoneEdit. I have an MX record set to
mail.rmmp.org.

When I telnet to rmmp.org (25 or 26, depending on what network I'm
behind), I can talk with the SMTP server. However, when I try to get to
mail.rmmp.org, I get a host not found. I'm hoping this is where the
problem is. Seems quite likely.

In ZoneEdit, under my MX config for the domain, I have:

mail.rmmp.org "handles mail" 1st "for domain" rmmp.org

For the IP (A) records, I have rmmp.org and www.rmmp.org pointing to the
IP address of the server. Do I also need a mail.rmmp.org A record mapped
to an IP address? My initial thoughts that were since mail.rmmp.org
"handles mail" for rmmp.org, and rmmp.org has an A record, I wouldn't
need one explicitly for mail.rmmp.org. I'm going to give this a shot,
but still don't know if it's correct.

--Aaron