[TriLUG] 16 bit DOS apps under Linux?

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 13 13:58:45 EDT 2005

Well, it finally happened.  My client out at the beach (mostly running
XP) has automagically downloaded SP2 which managed to break the 16 bit
subsystem.  This client basically exists to run an old DOS app which
communicates over a serial card.  My understanding is (hotgrits, tell
me if this is true) that I can emulate 16 bit DOS using qmenu, or
whatever that program was named.

I'd like to migrate them to Linux desktops and be done with all this
virus hassle, etc.  However, that said, can't I provide a complete 16
bit subsystem using qmenu running under XP?

What a headache.

By the way, the M$ published errata explain how to fix the 16 bit
subsystem, but it didn't work.

Ugh.

Greg