[TriLUG] clustering or server mirroring

burnett at pobox.com burnett at pobox.com
Tue Apr 19 09:05:17 EDT 2005

On Tue, 19 Apr 2005, David McDowell wrote:

> One in the same?  Here's my idea.  I'd like to use CentOS 4 if
> possible to do this.  I would like to have my webserver mirrored on
> another machine so that if one goes down, the site continues to run.
> If I change a config on one machine, the config should change on the
> mirrored machine.  Is this running a cluster or is this some other
> kind of setup?  Basically I have some time at work to play.  Any good
> resources for this kind of information?  Basically I want 2 servers to
> be identical mirrors of one another so that if one of the 2 goes down,
> I'm still online.  And, if I repair the broken one, it can resync
> itself so that the mirror of the 2 machines is identical again.
> Suggestions, links, etc?

You might want to look at the current issue of SysAdmin magazine. The
theme for this month's (May 2005 - Vol. 14, #5) issue is clustering.

Among the several articles related to the topic this month is one on
"Do-It-Yourself Clusters" (Linux-based) and another on "Linux
High-Availability Clusters with Heartbeat, DRBD, and DRBDLinks".

http://www.sysadminmag.com/

best,
Steve B / Badger