[TriLUG] clustering or server mirroring

jonc at nc.rr.com jonc at nc.rr.com
Tue Apr 19 12:14:32 EDT 2005

Hi David,

I solved this very problem many years ago and put it here:
  http://www.trilug.org/~jonc/Failover_scripts/

I've used LVS and Ulta Monkey with great results, and now I'm using CARP (from OpenBSD). These technologies are fantastic, but really overkill for the ordinary folk who just want to have a tranparent fail-over that they can setup easily and then forget about.

The above link details some easy to install scripts which setup a Master/Slave type of fail-over; where the slave comes on-line whenever the Master goes down. The transition is transparent and the scripts keep the Slave server synched up with modifications on the Master (though I recommend a 24 hour waiting period for the synching - in case the outage is caused by a config foo-bar :-).

The Slave backs down again automatically when the Master comes back on-line.

Hope you find it useful and easy,

Jon Carnes