[TriLUG] Linux for Laptops?

Randy Barlow rpbarlow at eos.ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 20 22:59:41 EDT 2005

I'm a student and so I had to keep a PC around with Sata... I mean,
Microsoft Windows for some programs (well yeah, I could use Wine too,
but the stories I've heard about getting it to work made me just go the
easy route...)  So now that the semester is winding down, I think I'd
like to switch this system over (well, back) to Linux.  This system used
to run FC3.  Now I don't want to start any distro wars or anything,
but... I didn't really like FC3 for the laptop because every time I
updated the system packages (like the kernel) I had to go an reinstall
all the wireless stuff, which was a real pain.

So I'm looking for recommendations on any distributions that are really
laptop friendly.  Here's a list of things that are important to me (in
order):

1) Wireless has to work, and preferably easy.  By easy, I'd like to not
have to do anything.  Install it and it works.  Maybe this isn't
possible, but I thought I'd ask anyway just in case.

2) Package Management.  Just something that makes getting the software I
want and keeping it up to date easy (including the aforementioned
wireless stuff).  And it would be nice if it had lots of software to
choose from, so I don't have to do too many manual installs.

3) Power Management would be nice.  I've got the Pentium-M.  If you
don't know much about it, it is incredible when it comes to saving those
laptop batteries.  I've got a machine with a 15" screen that will last
literally 4 1/2 hours on battery, so long as I turn down things like the
brightness of the screen and the clock frequency of the processor.  If
there were a distro that were already set up with these or similar
capabilities upon install, that would be awesome.

4) Trying something new.  At this point, I'd call myself an amateur in
my Linux/Unix skills.  I'm no expert or advanced user, but no beginner
either.  I've run Red Hat 6,7, and FC 2 and 3 before, and currently as I
mentioned previously I'm running Gentoo on my main computer (and I love
Gentoo!).  But you know, I'd like to get a taste of what else is out
there, so something new would be refreshing.

5) Optimization for Pentium-M.  Well, Gentoo is the best way I can think
of the achieve this, but Gentoo also requires you to take vacation time
to install.  Any distro that offers a precompiled version for the
Pentium-M would be nice, especially if their package manager can also
get me optimized software.  I'd much rather have the previous
requirements than this one, but hey, I'll take this too if it's out there!

Thanks for any responses or thoughts you may all have!

Randy Barlow