[TriLUG] Python causing Kernel Panics?

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Thu Apr 21 12:24:23 EDT 2005

Hi Guys and Gals,
   Lately one of our boxen has started spewing non-critical kernel panic
messages (I say non-critical because it only affects the culprit process
and doesn't result in losing interactivity or any services) every few
minutes.  Most of the displayed message is gibberish to me (I know what
most of it *means*, but it's not useful information to me), but there's
a line that says (forgive me if this isn't QUITE verbatim; I'm doing
this from memory as the machine's terminal is in a room far away)

<01> Unable to handle memory paging request

and

Process python ... (PID xyzx .....)

Python?  That's a name I recognize, but I don't know what periodic task
would be invoking python in such a way to cause these memory problems.

I realize that the RIGHT solution is (probably) fix the RAM.  Ultimately
I do intend to rebuild this machine with newer hardware.  But for now,
is there a way I can figure out what process keeps spawning python, and
stop it?  Presuming, of course, that it is not a critical process.

Apparently it's not that critical anyhow, or Very Bad Things would be
happening instead of just a message on the terminal.

This would just be long enough for me to soften the boss up for spending
a couple hundred bucks on new CPU, mobo, and RAM..

Thanks for the input, as always.

Regards,
~Brian