[TriLUG] installing kernel packages with rpm

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Fri Apr 22 17:42:56 EDT 2005

On 4/22/05, Brian Henning <lugmail at cheetah.dynip.com> wrote:
> Ahhhhhhhh, so the -U is what causes the process to include the removal of
> the previous installation.  That would make sense.
>
> So in the interest of wicked uptimes, is there a way to load a new kernel
> image on the fly without having to reboot?
>
> That may be a stupid question; I can see how it would be a stupid question,
> but I figured there was at least a miniscule chance that the answer would be
> "well actually, yes there is..."

At the current time there is not.  You're not the first person
to ask about it though

http://lwn.net/Articles/31170/

Linux Weekly News had an editorial about it once with a
very good explanation about what needed to happen, but I can't
seem to find it right now.  If someone else knows that link, I'd love
to see it, thanks.

Cheers,
Tanner
--