[TriLUG] Linux on a Netra X1 ?

Greg Foster greg.foster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 23 18:37:38 EDT 2005

Hi all,

Anyone here have luck installing something like Debian on a SUN Netra
X1 ?  There's a few pages out there that make it look simple, but I've
got two issues.

1.  Seems the current 'netinst' cd image for sparc has an issue
mounting itself (I'm guessing to install the base image).  Known issue
from what I've gathered... suggested on some lists to use netboot.

2.  Netboot works great until it gets to the network config portion...
eth0 and eth1 are switched according to some online docs, but neither
come up.

Of course, I've got a Cisco router and need to run my internal devices
at an mtu of 1492... perhaps it's barfing on this?  Will have to
check.

Anyone recommend a decent server-grade linux for this unit ?  Don't
need graphical niceness, just something solid and fast :)

500Mhz Ultrasparc IIe, 512Megs RAM, 2 x 40MB disks (ide)