[TriLUG] Samba printing problems

Glenn Hennessee Glenn_Hennessee at ncsu.edu
Wed Apr 27 14:38:38 EDT 2005

Rick DeNatale wrote:
> Thanks to Kevin and Jeff, I've now got the Windoze machine printing to
> the printer using Cups instead of Samba.
>
> One more niggling windoze problem.  I can't seem to get rid of the old
> printer from the windows machine.  It just sits there saying that it
> is "deleting". If I reboot it just comes back.  I tried googling but
> didn't come up with anything.
>
> I know that this is a windoze question, but thought somebody here
> might know what might be going on.
Windows actually tries to access the printer if you just click on it. If
the printer doesn't actually exist any longer it can take windows quite
some time to time out. Try right clicking the mouse on the printer and
select delete rather than left clicking and hitting the delete key.
Right click usually bypasses the "check the status" of the printer.
glenn