[TriLUG] PHP

matusiak dave at matusiak.org
Thu Apr 28 16:03:17 EDT 2005

Hey Cate --

I'm not sure what the job market looks like down in Tallahassee, but up
here in the Triangle I'd say these skills would have nearly a 50/50
percent opportunity (maybe 60% PHP based on the type of mail I receive)
of finding work.

In terms of MS development, most openings I see are looking for
VBScript skills *or* .NET skills.  vb.net must be the new cycle of vb
moved to the .NET platform, so staying current with the upshift of MS
would be a good idea.  I really cannot argue the benefits of vb.net
development, as I am quite unfamiliar with it, but learning it could
definitely provide your students with future job competitiveness.

MS as a platform is ubiquitous.  Whether one needs to program
specifically for/on that platform is still an open question.  The
limitations to MS development (primarily server/OS platforms and
portability issues) should be apparent to anyone following technology
over the past decade or so.  But, just cause they're essentially
crippled doesn't mean they are going away anytime soon.

The benefits of learning PHP are much easier to enumerate.

	00. Open Source development experience.
	01. Works with the best of breed database and web servers (mysql,
postgresql, and apache to name a few).
	02. Similar enough to perl to allow for cross-language learning.
	03. There are plug-ins and components out the wazoo.  Not to mention
full-blown CMSes and other group tools being actively developed (and
freely available, in most cases).
	04. The job market for these skills is expanding rapidly, especially
as shops begin to realize the power, flexibility, customization, and
code re-use involved.

If I had to pick one, it would be PHP.  However, I would suggest
changing the lesson plan to examine both languages with the students.
Get two texts and teach them side-by-side with recurring attention to
the broader perspective of 'programming principals.'  Provide the
students with initial exposure to the two styles and assist them in
determining which path they would choose for further study.

Just a thought,
dave m.