[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Mon May 2 20:16:49 EDT 2005

Greg Brown wrote:

> On May 2, 2005, at 6:57 PM, matusiak wrote:
>
>> OMG!  Please put me on the podcast-announce list when the time comes.
>>
>> How about Audio Hijack Pro on a Mac recording via modem port?  Can
>> you call a voice mail system from a computer modem?  Inquiring minds
>> want to know.
>>
> Never tried it (modem dialing).  But I will asap.
>
> Greg

If it's the right type of modem, you could certainly accomplish this
task with Asterisk.  A full description of how to setup Asterisk and
accomplish the task at hand is well beyond the scope of a single email,
but suffice to say that it's possible with a modicum of effort.  An even
better long term solution might be replace your current answering
service with a more flexible Asterisk-based solution, and those
voicemails will be naturally saved in .wav or .mp3, your choice.  :)

Aaron S. Joyner