[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Matt Pusateri mpusateri at wickedtrails.com
Tue May 3 08:47:49 EDT 2005

On Mon, May 2, 2005 8:16 pm, Aaron S. Joyner said:
> Greg Brown wrote:
>

>> On May 2, 2005, at 6:57 PM, matusiak wrote:
>>
>>> OMG!  Please put me on the podcast-announce list when the time
>>> comes.
>>>
>>> How about Audio Hijack Pro on a Mac recording via modem port?  Can
>>> you call a voice mail system from a computer modem?  Inquiring
>>> minds
>>> want to know.
>>>
>> Never tried it (modem dialing).  But I will asap.
>>
>> Greg
>>
> If it's the right type of modem, you could certainly accomplish this
> task with Asterisk.  A full description of how to setup Asterisk and
> accomplish the task at hand is well beyond the scope of a single
> email,
> but suffice to say that it's possible with a modicum of effort.  An
> even
> better long term solution might be replace your current answering
> service with a more flexible Asterisk-based solution, and those
> voicemails will be naturally saved in .wav or .mp3, your choice.  :)
>
> Aaron S. Joyner

My thoughts on this if you had a working asterisk server, then you
place the call to your friend in MN, listen to the VM and use the
monitor command in asterisk to grab a copy of the conversation.  You
would have to be silent on you end as asterisk should monitor both
sides of the conversation.

Hmmm,  maybe this asterisk box in my office needs dusted off!

Matt