[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Greg Brown gregbrown at mindspring.com
Tue May 3 13:37:28 EDT 2005

I checked with my attorney who gave me the "do you want the $250.00,
$500.00, or $1000.00 answer to that question" look?  Basically, the
VM's are company material.  They must be scrubbed of all references to
names and places of employment (that's CYA).  Because the company
handbook (and other legal riff-raff from Company X) makes no direct
mention about what can and can't be done with VMs, so at this
particular company it's a gray area.  You can certainly access the VMs
from outside the company phone system, so you are good there, but
copying the data does carry some risk.

Gray area or not, I don't think it much matters.  Company X has
tremendous legal resources and could crush me like a bug, if they
wanted.  So I'm going to be very careful, and I might not do it anyway,
though I would like to set up a system at the house that could record
phone calls.. it just sounds geeky.

BTW - I think I'll wait for asterisk to get a bit more mature before I
install it at the house, or anywhere else.  I've been encountering a
lot of dropped audio, popping, static, and call break-ups using
Asterisk.

Greg