[TriLUG] OT - well, I do want to save the file on Linux

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Wed May 4 07:26:20 EDT 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-03 at 21:29, John Turner wrote:

> Speaking of Asterisk. Does anyone have comments on Asterisk at Home?
>
> http://asteriskathome.sourceforge.net/
>
> I was thinking of giving it a try before I rebuild my pbx with Fedora.
>
> John

Very cool site!  If I were just starting out with Asterisk, I would
start here.

I have to say though that the learning curve on Asterisk is much smaller
than most OpenSource projects. For one thing the wiki is wicked good.
The config files are also logically named and very well documented. I
had my first trunks up and running and tested within about six hours of
installing Asterisk the first time.

BTW: my first install was on a heavily loaded 1GHz box with a slow IDE
drive and about 512Mb of RAM. Asterisk ran fairly well; though I had
some skipping problems with announcements and voicemail.  Once I
shutdown things like Mailscanner, SquidGuard, and Mailman those problems
were minimal.  You don't need much for a home system.

Good Luck - Jon