[TriLUG] Typing Accented Characters

Brian Henning brian at strutmasters.com
Wed May 4 10:39:27 EDT 2005

Hi Guys,
   This feels like a really stupid question, probably because it seems
like such a trivial matter..  Here it is: How do I type accented
characters in the KDE / X environment?  Like in Windows, I can hold Alt
and type 0233 on the numberpad and get a lower-case E with an acute
accent.  Cumbersome, but usable.  And when I need another accented
character, I can use the character map, or just trial-and-error my way
through other number codes until I find it.

So how do I do it in Linux?  Once in a while I will type an instant
message in French, and would like to be able to accent the characters
correctly.  But since it's only for the occasional random IM, I don't
want a solution that involves changing some arcane setting that I will
have to change back for normal English.

Thanks,
~Brian