[TriLUG] laptop and external monitor resolution

Aaron S. Joyner aaron at joyner.ws
Wed May 4 19:45:11 EDT 2005

Brent Verner wrote:

>Hi,
>  I've done the google-dance, and I just can't seem to find an answer
>to my current problem.

You may safely ignore the following paragraph if you are not Alan (it's
an anagram, he says).

To prevent possible confusion of terminology... "google-dance" most
commonly refers to the shifting of page rankings in google, as they
recalculate all of the various inter-related link values, to determine
the final rankings, and the propagate all of those changes out to each
data center.  Various factors over the years have contributed to
different seemingly rapid changes in page rank, for a brief interval of
time.  Some how I don't think this is what you had in mind by
"google-dance", perhaps Google as a verb (I've googled, I've done the
appropriate googling) is more what you had in mind.  :)

>...Can anyone share some xorg.conf config expertise to help me
>use my external monitor at 1600x1200 (without any trace of the
>viewport silliness...)?  I'm sure I could do this with an
>alternate ServerLayout, but I'm hoping there's a way to do
>this a bit more transparently.

Unfortunately, I am actually useless in answering your question.  :)  It
does sort of depend on if you're treating the external display as a
"mirror" of your current desktop, or as a separate viewable space.  In
the former case, I doubt that you can accomplish what you want.  In the
later case, a second Server section and monkeying with ServerLayout will
probably be required (but don't quote me on that).

Best of luck!
Aaron S. Joyner