[TriLUG] fdisk partition question

Kevin Flanagan kevin at flanagannc.net
Wed May 4 19:35:17 EDT 2005

Chris,

	It's like ARC boot, /dev/cciss/"Controller#,Drive#,Partition#"

	The first disk should be /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 - px

	The second one should be /dev/cciss/c0d1p1 - px

So, your RHEL installation most likely created file systems such as,

/boot on /dev/cciss/c0d0p1 ~100MB
swap on /dev/cciss/c0d0p2
/ on /dev/cciss/c0d0p3

"fdisk /dev/cciss/c0d1" should let you create partition(s) on the second
logical drive.

Did you use the onboard RAID card in the DL380?  If so, it's not going
to provide the best performance for such large file systems, it's really
designed for booting from, and some fairly straight forward stuff like
web content, where the OS will cache much of the content anyways.
Another thing to think about is spare disks, if you didn't save one disk
for a hot spare you might want to reconsider it, if you were to leave
one disk out of the array you can make it be be the spare for as many
arrays as there are on the one controller.

Hope this helps,

	Kevin