[TriLUG] Re: Phone using computer

Scott G. Hall ScottGHall at BellSouth.Net
Thu May 5 13:06:18 EDT 2005

On 04 May 2005 15:46 EDT, Jon Carnes <jonc at nc.rr.com> wrote:
> Yep, there are literally hundreds of softphones that work with Linux.
> I've used kphone successfully, but any one of the hundreds that speak
> SIP will work for you once you have a SIP account with some provider.
>
> Here's the VoIP wiki site on softphones:
>   http://www.voip-info.org/wiki-VOIP+Phones#id311475

I do *not* want an account with anyone, nor am I looking at VOIP.  I want
to utilize the existing hardware in my existing computer, using the modem
to connect to a standard POTS line, and my walkman headphones and computer
mic for the headset.  This is what I have now under Win98.

Think of what I am looking for as a sort of digital telephone hybrid with
call logging capability.

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA