[TriLUG] Bio for Jason Tower

Jason Tower jason at cerient.net
Sat May 7 18:02:44 EDT 2005

I've been actively involved with TriLUG for several years now, including
the last year serving on the Steering Committee.  I'm proud to be part
of one of the largest and most active LUGs in the country, maybe the
world (I don't have any hard data to back that up, although friends in
other major cities have mentioned that their local LUGs pale by comparison).

Over the past year, I've accomplished several tasks as a member of the
TriLUG Steering Committee:

- Championed the move from RTI to Red Hat
- Obtained several meeting sponsors
- Organized TriLUG's finances as treasurer

My aspirations for TriLUG are much the same as everyone else's -
increased member participation, more group events like installfests,
etc.  But I also have a more specific goal for the upcoming year, which
is to help extend TriLUG's reach to two groups we haven't particularly
courted in the past:

1. Home or casual users who would benefit from Linux's stability and
lack of susceptibility to viruses, worms, trojans, etc.  It's one thing
for hard core geeks to use Linux, but getting Mom or Uncle Edgar into
the fray is an entirely different challenge.

2. Businesses that would benefit from Linux's flexibility, ease of
management, and adherence to open standards.  We all know that Linux is
ready for prime time, but communicating that to the PHBs of the world
isn't always easy.

In the interest of full disclosure: in addition to being a fan and user,
I also run a business that provides Linux and FOSS solutions.  So my
interest in seeing more businesses adopt Linux is not entirely selfless :)

I'm certainly looking forward to serving all of you for another year as
a Steering Committee member, hope to see you on the 12th!

Jason Tower