[TriLUG] gpsmap experience

Glenn Meyer glenn at glennmeyer.com
Mon May 9 10:23:13 EDT 2005

Yes, this is a concern!  However, I read in the article (thank you for
sending the link...)

After Dillard accessed the information, he contacted patients and
insurance companies. He also wrote WRAL a letter, stating, "These guys
are a bunch of bozos." He also mailed WRAL copies of checks and
insurance forms with patient names and procedures.

I have to be very careful to be sure my laptop doesn't accidentally even
pull a DHCP address by having my ip statically configured and the
adapter down (ifconfig wlan0 down) so that TCP/IP is not active and
iptables set to block any/all traffic both ways.

Although I have not yet received my new Orinoco card, (still working
with a less than adequate card in ndiswrappers), my understanding and
initial testing shows that I can still detect and gather enough
information as a completely passive listener to find open wireless sources.

I would absolutely not ever want to connect to any network (leaving any
finger prints) that I wanted as a customer (for the very reason in the
article).  Besides that, I don't care about whatever may be exposed on
the network.  I don't have time or interest to seek out or exploit
anything like that.

My interest is only in trying to make a few extra buck by doing the very
easy configuration of their access point and adapters.  Perhaps it will
open the door to additional work with that customer.

I am VERY open to suggestions as to how to stay out of trouble and how
to make the sale!