[TriLUG] The sum total of my reelection campaign's advertising budget...

Tanner Lovelace clubjuggler at gmail.com
Mon May 9 10:53:57 EDT 2005

On 5/9/05, Steve Litt <slitt at troubleshooters.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I really like the way TriLUG operates as an organization. This is from a
> person who helped found two LUGs and was on the board of directors of a
> third. Some questions...

[...]
> How many members does TriLUG have? It takes a substantial local membership to
> field committees beyond the steering committee.

The main mailing list has 594 subscribers.  There is no membership
requirement, though, to subscribe to the mailing list.  Our actual membership
database has 518 people listed in it, but I don't know how many of those
have since moved away.  We regularly, though, get 80-100+ people at
our monthly meetings and at least that at installfests.

> How have you gone about getting discounts on local hosting, and especially at
> retail stores. I'd love to be able to accomplish that for GoLUG. I'm sure
> Marc M would love to do the same for ForensicLUG.

Cultivate relationships with the local stores.  Invite them to your meetings,
convince them to sponsor a meeting and work with them.  I'm sure
that part of why we've been somewhat successful here is both a combination
of being in the right place at the right time and how large we are.

> Once again, compliments go out to TriLUG. Your mailing list is great, and the
> way you function as a community and an organization is superb.

As one of the outgoing SC members, but more importantly as a TriLUG member,
thank you very much. :-)

Cheers,
Tanner
--