[TriLUG] A few good computers need good homes

Ian Meyer ianmeyer at mac.com
Thu May 12 15:07:43 EDT 2005

hey everyone, i've got a few computers laying around the house that
need homes... they're sitting here not being used and taking up
space, and i'd much rather get them to someone who can get some use
out of them. most of the are free, a couple isn't.

first up is a vintage Apple Network Server (for more information on
this beast, check out shiner.info). Its got a full complement of
drive trays but not all have backplanes for connections, it has the
original CD-ROM loaded tray, as well as several trays with 68 pin UW-
SCSI connectors. I have a few UW-SCSI drives that'll go with it, but
since the pinout os different it needs some adapter cables, but guess
what, the parts to roll your own are also included!

next we have another beige mac, this time with a little more
horsepower and a much smaller case, a beige g3. its currently halfway
through an install (as in when you boot it'll ask for disc 2) i
think, i haven't even turned it on. comes with a monitor, and adb
keyboard and mouse.

next down the line we go back in time a little farther with a
commodore 64. this baby comes complete with floppy drive and a big
bol o' software, some on discs, some on cartridges.

sitting over here on my bottom shelf is a great old machine in need
of a new harddrive, a mac se! this one has even been decorated with a
painted-on Link (in the Wind Waker style, you know, the guy from
Zelda) that was done by a friend of mine last summer when we had too
much free time, spraypaint, and masking tape.

now for the un-freebies: first up we have a NetPliance iOpener. This
is a sweet little machine running at right around 100 or 133 MHz if
memory serves me right, modded to have an attached 4 gig laptop hard
drive that fits right inside the case. It's got a parallel port,
hardware modem (!), and usb out, also includes a USB hub that is also
a network adapter, no extra drivers necesary to get it running under
linux. the drive currently has mandrake 10 on it, but for some reason
I've coerced it into not booting from the drive anymore. some BIOS-fu
should get up and running though. I'd like to get a little bit for
this sweetie, they get around $100 on eBay usually, but I'd be happy
to get 2/3 of that.

and the last guy is 700 MHz G3 iMa, Graphite color. Its spent nearly
all its life on my grandmother's desk and is a great machine. Still
kickin' along, it will come to you with a fresh install of OS X 10.3
Panther. Comes in the original box with a Apple pro keyboard and
Mouse ( yeah, one button :-/ ), its a wonderful box to use for a
server or kids computer or even a spare workstation somewhere. I'd
like to get around $400 for it, but make me an offer.

Anyway, thanks for reading, hopefully you'll decide to take some of
this off my hands! I'd prefer if you could come and pick it up at my
place in downtown Raleigh, but if you'd like to make other
arrangements, let me know and we can probably work something out.

~Ian Meyer