[TriLUG] Network Issue on New Laptop

Ron Joffe rjoffe at yahoo.com
Thu May 12 15:26:18 EDT 2005

I've got my hands on a new Dell 9300 Inspiron laptop. I'm having some strange
networking problems. OS is SLES-9.

lspci lists the nic as :

BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02)

The module that was loaded (selected automatically) is b44. On boot, eth0 is
assigned a dhcp address, and the nameservers are properly populated
in /etc/resolv.conf. So from this I know I am getting some connectivity.

If I try to ping a device on my local subnet, I get:

Destination Host Unreachable for a few hundred times

Then I get very slow ping times(in the 10's of seconds) for a few hundred
times

Then I get sendmsg: No buffer space available

I have tried using the bcm4400 drivers, and no luck there. What other
suggestions would you have.

Thanks,

Ron