[TriLUG] IEEE presents "embedded Linux"

Alan Porter porter at trilug.org
Fri May 13 11:09:39 EDT 2005

As I mentioned last night, the IEEE Embedded Systems SIG
will have their bi-monthly meeting on Wednesday, May 18th.
This month, I will be presenting embedded Linux.

The presentation will be a tutorial on building an embedded
Linux system from the ground up (as opposed to installing
a desktop distribution and trimming stuff out).  It includes:

  - a discussion of the pro's and con's of using Linux on
    an embedded device

  - the basics of what's needed to boot the Linux kernel,
    and how the boot-up process works

  - how to partition and format your storage area (FLASH
    ROM), and how to make it bootable

  - what minimal stuff is needed on the filesystem

  - a brief tour of packages that might be needed for a
    bare-bones system

This presentation is based on the development of a real-world
application which will be shown.

The meeting is at MCNC, just up the street from TriLUG's old
meeting place at RTI.  People start gathering at 6:00pm for light
snacks and socializing, then the presentation starts at 6:30.
Everyone is welcome (not just IEEE members).

See http://ieee-embedded.org for a map.

Alan

.