[TriLUG] Linux and traffic generation

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Tue May 17 13:19:41 EDT 2005

I tried to send this once before and it bounced.  Let's try it again.

I know that Linux 2.4.x kernels contained an optional traffic
generator.  I have never used it but now find myself with a need for a
traffic generator.  Does anyone know of a Linux-based software package
that can blast packets around the network at specific IP Addresses
using specific ports and protocols?

Basically, what I've got here is a bunch of protocols I need to test
after a QOS change was made.  Basically what I'd like to do is
something like this:

trafficgen <traget ip> <port/protocol> <time to megabyte duraction>

What I'd like to get back are metrics on the bandwidth available,
number of packets sent, number of packets dropped, and the like.

Is anyone aware of an OSS tool that can do this?

I have several sniffers around here but I'd like to do more then just
dump a buffer of raw data across the net.

Greg