[TriLUG] Re: Build A Kernel (tangential)

Jason Faulkner jasonlf at gmail.com
Mon May 23 18:00:58 EDT 2005

> - Do I still need to copy the System.map file into /boot?

Only required if you run lilo, according to most things I've read.

> - Do I still need to make an initial ram disk?

For 2.4 or 2.6, no initrd is needed if you have drivers for all
critical hardware/your root fs in the kernel. That's the route I
usually go.

> - Do I still need to update the grub.conf file to list the new kernel
> and initrd file?

make install is "supposed" to do this for you, but I still check it by hand

--
Jason Faulkner
OldOs.org Owner/Admin / http://oldos.org / jason at oldos.org
Certified INGOTS Gold Assessor Trainer / http://www.theingots.org