[TriLUG] OT: Remote Reboot Power strip

Jon Carnes jonc at nc.rr.com
Mon May 23 19:48:43 EDT 2005

Hola TriLUG-gers,

I've got some remote equipment that locks up on occasion. Some really
wonderful contractors built the cluster for me on the cheap using used
computers (and I got what I paid for).

I'm not terribly worried about each individual piece but it is a pain in
the tuckus to run out and reboot one of the cluster when it locks. Thus
the subject of this off-topic missive: Remote Reboot Power Strips.

Anyone have some nice recommendations. I was looking at something like
the Baytech Remote Power RS/232 Switch (~$250). Not as sexy as one that
has built-in Ethernet - but definitely cheaper. Plus I have lots of nice
robust Linux servers out at the same location with serial ports to
spare...

Any on-topic comments on this off-topic subject are welcome. Let *me*
learn from *your* mistakes!

Jon Carnes