[TriLUG] Music Files

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue May 24 10:11:06 EDT 2005

The most important thing for you to do if this is the only copy of them
all, is set up RAID.  You should read the software RAID Howto.
(http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html)   For such a large
volume of data, you'll want to use RAID 5.  You can use 3 250 GB disks
and have it be really tight, or you can have some room for expansion and
use 4 disks of 180 GB or more.  Make sure you read and understand the
HOWTO so you know how it all works.  You'll want to make sure each drive
in the array is on a separate bus if you're using IDE.  If two drives
are connected to the same IDE cable and one drive goes down, it will
likely take down the other drive connected to that cable as well.  RAID
5 can't handle the loss of multiple disks, so you would have a hard time
recovering your data.  Most computers with just one IDE bus will require
a separate IDE controller card to make a quality RAID 5 array.  Many
distributions will help you automate the process of setting up a RAID,
but you should understand what's going on so you can properly set it up,
monitor it, and recover from it if something happens.  I don't think the
automatic RAID tools account for things like the IDE bus issue mentioned
above which is why you need to understand what you're doing.

I don't know much about mp3 applications.  I find that a well organized
directory structure and a good set of playlists is the most useful
management of my music collection, but it doesn't come close to
approaching the size of yours, so perhaps some additional management may
be necessary.

Good luck,
Joel