[TriLUG] Cheap Backup

Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov Mack.Joseph at epamail.epa.gov
Tue May 24 10:30:39 EDT 2005

Joseph Mack PhD, High Performance Computing & Scientific Visualisation
LMIT, Supporting the EPA Research Triangle Park, NC 919-541-0007 Federal
Infrastructure Contact-Ravi Nair 919-541-5467 - nair.ravi at epa.gov,
Federal Visualization  Contact - Joe Retzer, Ph.D. 919-541-4190 -
retzer.joseph at epa.gov

trilug-bounces at trilug.org wrote on 05/24/2005 10:14:22 AM:

> I have to second Joe's comment about using an external USB 2.0 or
> better disk drive for backups. Works like a champ, is fast, and if you

> do it right, you've got an image of your source system youcan boot
> from.

(G'day Jim, haven't seen you for a while)

I'm pleased enough with this arrangement that I've bought
two of the cases for backup and general portable
storage to synch my machines at different places.
The USB disk has all the files (/, /usr ...).
I put the next bigger size disk in them (current desktop
machines have 160G, so USB case has 300G). When a desktop
machine gets full, I copy the /etc/ directory to the USB
disk, pop out the USB disk, put it into the desktop
machine, boot with a grub floppy, grubify the disk
and I'm on my way.

Joe