[TriLUG] Cheap Backup

Joel Ebel jbebel at ncsu.edu
Tue May 24 13:39:12 EDT 2005

One other alternative is to find a friend who has space and likes music.
  He can mirror a copy of your collection and have the benefit of being
able to listen to anything in it whenever he wants.  Of course this may
be difficult, since there aren't too many people with 500 GB of space
lying around, and probably even fewer that will have similar tastes in
music to you.  But with 500 GB, you probably have a wide variety of
tastes.  Then you could just split them up by genres, and find a friend
who likes each one, letting them each mirror just that portion of the
collection.  If you have some music no one else likes, you can either
delete it because it sucks, or you can use the external drive method
since you shouldn't have too much left.  Unless all your music sucks.
Of course I think most of this idea is absurd.  I just had to say it.
I'd still recommend RAID, but if you can, an off-site complete mirror is
the best protection you can have.  I share a smaller music collection
between friends, and it exists in full on a few different servers.

Joel