[TriLUG] decent cheap soundcard

Ryan Wheaton ryan.wheaton at comcast.net
Tue May 24 18:37:51 EDT 2005

Hey all,

I'm looking for a decent and cheap (sub $30) sound card that is well
supported under linux.  I used to have a ton of old SB16 cards lying
around, but gave them all away about a year ago.  I want to listen to
internet radio here at work (http://www.kexp.org rocks btw), and my
current linux desktop doesn't have any sound.
This morning I stopped by compusa to check out what they had and bought
an el-cheapo compusa brand that they had for 19.99.  It's a ALS4000
chipset and I got it running with some ALSA drivers...It _works_ but it
sounds really crappy and skips a lot (any time I do ANYTHING in X
there's a little hiccup).  This makes me think that either the HW is
crap or the driver support isn't all that.  I also saw a SB Live! 24bit
at compusa for $30, but didn't find and documentation that says that
it's well supported either.  So, any and all suggestions are welcome...

thanks,

-rtw