[TriLUG] ATI Rage XL onboard graphics in Debian Sarge

john mitchell john280z at earthlink.net
Wed May 25 14:52:55 EDT 2005

Brian Henning wrote:

> < big snip >
>
> What's DRI and how do I get it?  Errr...  aptitude says xlibmesa-dri
> is installed, so what am I doing wrong?  Could it be an unsupported
> chipset issue?

   Have you started here for DRI info:

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki
(go about 2/3 down the page and then click on "Troubleshooting":

http://dri.freedesktop.org/wiki/DriTroubleshooting

(I had to start my DRI adventure by compiling my kernel for AGP)

   Also you can check glx stuff with "glxinfo" - from a command line -
it should have "direct rendering: yes" near the top. I also had a
missing lib file that glxinfo pointed out. And for fun, run "glxgears".

Although I cannot run bzflag with "textures" ON, my old video card
doesn't have enought horsepower.

john mitchell