[TriLUG] Network Recommendation Question (could be OT, depending on how you look at it...)

Greg Brown gwbrown1 at gmail.com
Wed May 25 15:13:02 EDT 2005

> Option 2: I have the famous Linksys WRT54G (wish I had the s...)  Would
> it be difficult to set up OpenWRT in "bridged" mode (is that the term
> for what I want to do here?) and get it to connect to my roommate's
> netgear router, and then just plug my Gentoo system into one of the
> ports on the back of my router?  Has anyone (in TriLUG) done this
> specific configuration before?  There's a note that's about 2 lines long
> on the OpenWRT docs, and I really didn't know what it was talking
> about.  As it is, I have Linksys firmware running now.  Another question
> I have is: How easy would it be to revert to the Linksys firmware if
> things didn't work out so well?
>
> So which option seems best?
>
> Randy

Go the OpenWRT route.  I have mine set up as an access point (i.e. no
routing, data goes into the wire on the back, it goes out the wireless
on the other side.  The only thing I am doing differently is I am not
running WPA, though I believe it is easy to set up.

Reverting back to Linksys firmware should be easy enough as you can
set up the boot_wait in nvram then reboot the router where it should
pick up the linksys firmware via tftp.  But you won't need to do that.
 Once you use OpenWRT I honestly don't think you'll go back to
anything else.

Greg